Traffic is as slow as molasses in January on slick, snow-covered roads.
City police advised motorists to “leave yourself extra stopping distance and to simply slow down.”
There were a few reports of cars sliding into the ditch in the early going, but no indications of injuries,
The O-Train Line 1, meanwhile, is “running well at this time,” OC Transpo said just after 7 a.m., and there were few bus cancellations.
Although there was no official announcement, unconfirmed reports on Twitter noted a train broke down in Blair Station and was shunted to the side. Delays seemed to be minimal.
The folks ferrying kids to school in outlying areas are staying off the roads – both the the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario and the Upper Canada District School Board cancelled school buses Thursday due to inclement weather. Schools remain open.
School buses are in service in Ottawa and Gatineau.
- Expect intermittent lane and ramp closures on Highway 174 during off-peak hours between Blair and Trim roads until end of February to get ready for the Stage 2 Confederation Line east extension.
- Montreal Road, meanwhile, is reduced to one lane at the intersection of Montreal and North River roads. South of Montreal Road, southbound North River Road is also closed. These closures in preparation for the Montreal Road Revitalization Project are in place until Feb. 14. Detours are in place.
- A section of the Rideau Canal eastern and western pathways near the Pretoria Bridge is closed until March for structural repairs under the Queensway overpass
- Hog’s Back is closed to vehicles between Colonel by Drive and Prince of Wales Drive. Work on the swing bridge is expected to wrap up in the spring then Park Canada will start the repair and replacement of the fixed bridge over the Hog’s Back falls. Pedestrians and cyclists are not affected. Hog’s Back Road is expected to fully reopen in December 2020.
- Bayfield Avenue is closed between Herzberg Road and Carling Avenue until Oct. 2020 for the installation of a trunk sewer.
- Cumberland Street is closed between Stewart Street and Wilbrod Street until June 2020.